Friday, January 13, 2012

Happiness

Happiness that the world cannot take away only flourishes in the secret garden of our souls.  By tending to our inner garden and uproooting the weeds of external expectations, we can nurture our authentic happiness the way we would nurture something that's beautiful and alive.  Happiness is a living emotion. 

 This is an excerpt from the book Simple Abundance a Day book of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach.   Each day there is a small essay or inspirational message about life and how to live a more fulfilled and happy life.  This was part of last night's passage and it really spoke to me.  Happiness is something I need to find within me - If I can't be happy without any other factors, than I will never find happiness.  Children should add joy to my life, not be the anchor that I base my happiness on.  I know many people refer to money or travel or tangible objects as things that don't bring happiness, but I think I could look at children the same way.  Hubby and I should be already living a happy life and the blessings of children would just add to it.  Without children, I can still be happy and it isn't going to ruin my ability for future happiness.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration. I needed it today.

    This is something I struggle with. The truth is, though, children actually add stress to a marriage (divorce rates rise following the birth of the first child). Hence the common misconception that people living with infertility are actually happier than those without children. That said, I do believe that one being able to make a choice as to whether to raise children or not is essential to life. It's a deeply rooted biological need, hence the reason infertility is such a soul-sucking disease. What I try to work towards (and fail most of the time at) is remembering that just because I'm infertile doesn't mean my life is limited or worth less than that of someone who is able to conceive easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I whole heartedly agree - I guess I should have prefaced that this is what I am working towards. I do think infertility is on another level then consumerist greed. Our prime reason for being on this earth is to procreate. If we can't - we are essentially failing the reason why we are here.

      Delete
  2. I love this. If we could just let go of the external world, or uproot those weeds of expectations as they say, we could be the whole happy beings we are inside of ourselves. We are enough.

    I hope you are having a lovely happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are definitely enough. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, but it is such a struggle. Been trying so hard to live like that. Was doing pretty good till this weekend. I gotta work my way back up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a great goal but the flipside is that it makes you feel guilty when you're feeling less than 100%. Just say no to guilt! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete