Monday, May 5, 2014

18 months today

My dearest baby girl,

Today you are 18 months.  One and a half years ago you came into this world giving us the most joy and fear new parents could handle.

Over the last 18 months, we have seen you grow and learn and develop new skills each day.  You are simply amazing.

Things you love:

- Right now you LOVE being outside.  You will spend your entire day outside playing in dirt, running after the dogs, 'helping' daddy in the garden.  You are truly in your glory being out in nature.  Ever time you see or hear a bird you let us know.  You are very observant - much more than I am.  I love being outside with you and letting the pace of the world slow down so I can enjoy the simple things in life with you.

- You love reading books. You call them 'cooks'.  Sometimes you don't have the attention span to sit and enjoy a book, but most of the time we can share a quiet moment reading.

- You love 'funniest cat videos' on YouTube.  This was a strange find - but putting on funny cat videos keeps your attention long enough for mommy or daddy to relax a moment.  We don't have TV so we can't put on Tree House or any other children's programming.  We've tried Netflix with sesame street or other children's shows but you loose focus after a minute.  Put on funny cat videos on our phones and you are GLUED!  You love cats! Its super cute.

-You love going to the sitters and playing with the kids. You call the sitter 'mommy'.  I know you know who your mommy is and that its just a term you are using for someone who loves you and meets your needs.  I actually am happy.  You love and trust your sitter which puts my mind at ease since daddy and I both have to work.

- You LOVE your daddy.  Right now you are definitely a daddy's girl.  It's wonderful seeing the bond the two of you have.

- Blueberries and blackberries are your favourite food.  Yesterday you ate a pint of each.

- You still LOVE your 'nursies' (nursing).  Although somedays its tiring, I still love to nurse you.  Especially when I can sneak in an unexpected nap by nursing you and having you calm down enough to sleep yourself.  These naps mean I can't leave you when I wake up...but the cuddles are very enjoyable and wont be around forever.


Milestones:

- You learn new words each day and copy almost everything we say.  When you aren't saying words we know you are talking in your own language. You sign to help us understand you and you make connections between actions and objects to help us as well.  Its incredible. I've lost track on the words you say.  You are right on course I believe.  Right now you use the hard 'c' for a lot of things so socks is 'cocks', stuck is 'cuck' books is 'cooks'.  Its quite amusing.

- You run everywhere.  And you can walk backwards too - that is cute! You are also climbing on lots of things  but it hasn't gotten to the annoying point yet.  I'm sure that will come soon enough.

- You can identify objects in books and outside.  You also love pointing out facial features while nursing.  (This game was fun until you shared your pink eye with me this weekend.  You didnt' have it very bad at all...but I got it REALLY bad.  Pointing (sticking your finger in) your eye then mine was likely how you shared this little virus with me.  Oh well.  We've shared all other sickness this winter.)


When we took you to the Dr last week for your eye infection, you weighed a whopping 21 lbs 8 oz.  Your metabolism is really high (likely cause you have never stopped moving).  I wish I knew what I know now when you were born.  You eat a lot and never gain weight.  I wish I understood that you were going to be a slow gainer.  Its just who you are.  It would have saved me so much stress and heartache.  I am so glad I continued nursing even with the slow weight gain.  Some would have quite, and I wouldn't have blamed them.  I wanted to quite daily for a few weeks as your weight would always be under what it 'should' have been.  But we kept going and things got easier.  Then you started solids at 6 months and ate as much as a 2 year old.  And still you never put on weight.  Now some days you eat more than me.  Yet you still don't put on a lot of weight.  You are our tiny girl - and that's okay!


Thank you for being so amazing.  Thank you for choosing us to e your parents.  We love you so much it hurts.  Thanks for slowing life down a little and letting us into the wonder you see.


1 comment:

  1. She sounds amazing and very much like my son with the outdoors, berries, and talking. It's so wonderful to watch them grow into these interesting little people.

    ReplyDelete